What you can do to prepare your home for a severe weather event?
Australia has recently experienced some severe weather conditions including high winds and heavy rainfall. These weather events and other similar events that have occurred in recent years, can at times be so severe that they exceed the Building Code of Australia (BCA) design benchmarks for homes constructed within Australia.
In such extreme weather conditions rainwater can be forced through closed windows and sprayed up rooves in a manner which homes aren’t designed for and therefore water may enter some homes. The resulting water ingress may cause damage to your home, often this damage may only be of a minor nature, but can still cause considerable stress to you as the homeowner.
What can you do to prepare your home for a severe weather event?
As part of your ongoing home maintenance we recommend the following check measures are undertaken to avoid any water ingress to your home;
- Check all gutters and downpipes are clear of debris, leaves etc…
- Regularly check your roof for signs of slipped roof tiles, cracks and possible water ingress entry points – especially if you have recently had a contractor attend your property eg. Foxtel or solar panel installer
- Check your stormwater drains for blockages
- Check your window and door seals aren’t displaying signs of cracks and ageing
- Check for other possible entry points and seal if required
If during a severe weather event you do get water ingress – who do you call?
- If it is an emergency please call the SES for immediate assistance
- In most other cases, do what you can to stop/reduce the incoming water and then contact your home insurer as the first step to understanding what you can do
When these severe weather events happen most owners contact the builder of the home to request an inspection or even rectification of the damaged parts however if this issue hasn’t occurred until now then it is likely it is due to the severe weather event and these items will be claimable under your owner’s home insurance or alternatively are maintenance issues as the homeowner for you to attend to.