In today’s ever-changing world, it’s not uncommon to see multigenerational families living under one roof. Whether it’s to share costs, provide convenient babysitting options, or leverage the strengths of different generations, more and more families are embracing the benefits of multigenerational living. One solution that has become increasingly popular in catering to growing families is the addition of a second storey to the family home. In this blog post, we’ll explore how multigenerational families are capitalising on second storey additions to accommodate their expanding needs and enjoy a host of advantages that come with this choice.
One of the primary reasons why multigenerational families are turning to second storey additions is the significant cost savings that can be achieved. The initial investment in expanding your home may seem daunting, but when you consider the long-term benefits, it becomes a wise financial decision. By adding a second storey, families can effectively double their living space without incurring the astronomical expenses of relocating to a larger home. The costs of a second storey addition can often be shared among the family members, making it a financially sustainable solution for everyone involved.
No Need to Move:
Moving to a new home can be a stressful and expensive endeavor. It often means uprooting your family, leaving behind a familiar neighborhood, and adapting to a new environment. With a second storey addition, you can avoid all these hassles. You get to stay in the place you’ve called home, maintain your connections with the community, and preserve the memories associated with your existing house. The continuity and stability that come with not having to move are especially important for children and seniors in the family.
One of the many advantages of multigenerational living is the availability of built-in babysitters. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and older siblings can provide childcare when needed, allowing parents to take some well-deserved time for themselves. With a second storey addition, you can create a designated space for the older generation to stay comfortably while ensuring privacy and convenience for everyone. This arrangement is a win-win for both childcare and bonding among family members.
Leveraging Multigenerational Parenting Styles:
Each generation brings its unique parenting styles and experiences to the table. Multigenerational living allows for the exchange of wisdom, knowledge, and different approaches to parenting. A second storey addition can provide separate living spaces for each generation, which is vital for maintaining a sense of independence while still benefiting from the collective family support system. This dynamic can result in a holistic approach to childcare and child-rearing that enhances the well-being and development of the younger generation.
Build a Second Storey Addition today:
Multigenerational families are discovering the myriad of benefits of second storey additions in accommodating their growing households. These additions offer the advantages of shared costs, the convenience of not having to move, built-in babysitting, and the opportunity to leverage multigenerational parenting styles. By choosing to expand upward instead of outward, families can create a harmonious living environment that fosters both togetherness and individuality. If you’re part of a multigenerational family looking to capitalise on the benefits of second storey additions, it’s essential to consult with experts like 32 Degrees Building to help make your vision a reality. Embracing multigenerational living can bring joy, financial relief, and a stronger sense of unity to your family.
Are you gearing up for an exciting second storey addition to your home? It’s a big project that promises a beautiful transformation of your living space. But before the construction can begin, there are some essential preparations you should make to ensure a smooth and stress-free process. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the necessary steps to get your home ready for the upcoming second storey addition build.
1. Clear the Ground Floor: Before the construction begins, it’s crucial to clear out your ground floor. Move any furniture, belongings, or clutter that might get in the way of the builders. Additionally, if there are any large or valuable items that you can’t relocate, cover them with tarps to protect them from dust and debris. This step is essential to provide the builders with a clean and unobstructed workspace.
2. Invest in an Air Purifier: Construction can be a dusty affair, even with the most diligent cleanup efforts. To help combat the dust generated during the second storey addition build, consider investing in an air purifier. This device will improve air quality in your home, making it more comfortable to live in during the construction process. It’s a small investment that can make a big difference in maintaining a healthy living environment. It is also to be prepared for the fact that post-construction you will still have dust settling.
3. Prepare Your Garden: If you have an outdoor garden or patio area, make sure to prepare it for the upcoming construction. Remove any garden items, such as hoses, outdoor furniture, and potted plants, and store them safely. This will ensure that your outdoor space remains free of damage and clutter during the build.
4. Scaffolding Considerations: Scaffolding will be erected around the perimeter of your home as part of the construction process. To facilitate this, it’s essential to clear the area around your house. Remove any external items, including tables, chairs, and any other outdoor equipment. This not only ensures a safe construction environment but also makes the work more efficient.
5. Protect Your Personal Items: While the builders will take every precaution to protect your home, it’s wise to safeguard your personal belongings. Remove and safely store items like televisions, artwork, and decorations. Additionally, take down any pictures or artwork hanging on your walls. These precautions will minimize the risk of damage to your cherished possessions.
Preparation is key when embarking on a second storey addition to your home. By following these essential steps, you’ll create a safe and efficient environment for the construction team, protect your belongings from dust and damage, and ensure a smoother building process. With the right preparations, your second storey addition will be a seamless and exciting home improvement project. At 32 Degrees Building, we’re dedicated to helping you transform your house into your dream home. Contact us today to discuss your project and make your vision a reality!
When planning a second storey addition to your home, windows are a crucial element to consider. Not only do they enhance the aesthetics of your space, but they also play a significant role in ensuring comfort, energy efficiency, and functionality. At 32 Degrees Building, we understand that choosing the right windows is vital for a successful project. That’s why we’ve partnered with Bradnams, a trusted leader in windows and doors, to offer an array of window options to elevate your second storey addition.
Let’s explore the different window styles available from Bradnams and how they can transform your space:
Awning Windows: Awning windows are a practical choice for second storey additions. They open outward from the bottom, creating a canopy effect that allows fresh air to circulate while keeping rain out. These windows are ideal for bedrooms, bathrooms, or any area where privacy and ventilation are essential. Bradnams offers awning windows that are not only functional but also stylish, enhancing the overall appeal of your space.
Double-Hung Windows: Double-hung windows combine timeless elegance with versatility. They consist of two sashes that slide vertically within the frame, offering flexibility in controlling airflow and natural light. Bradnams’ double-hung windows are designed with modern features, ensuring smooth operation and energy efficiency. They are a perfect fit for a classic or contemporary second storey addition.
Casement Windows: Casement windows are known for their unobstructed views and excellent ventilation. They are hinged on the side and open outward, allowing for maximum airflow. Bradnams’ casement windows are available in various sizes and configurations, making them suitable for different areas of your second storey addition.
Louvre Windows: For those looking to add a touch of sophistication to their second storey space, louvre windows are an excellent choice. These windows consist of multiple horizontal blades that can be angled to control airflow and light. Bradnams offers sleek and modern louvre window designs that not only provide functionality but also enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home.
Sliding Windows: Sliding windows are a classic option for second storey additions. They offer clean lines and unobstructed views, allowing ample natural light to flood your space. Bradnams’ sliding windows are designed with precision and offer smooth operation for years to come. They are an excellent choice for creating a bright and inviting atmosphere.
Semi-Commercial Windows: If you’re looking to add a touch of sophistication to your second storey space, semi-commercial windows are an excellent choice. These windows combine style and functionality and are perfect for modern and sleek designs. Bradnams offers a range of semi-commercial windows that are energy-efficient and durable, ensuring your second storey addition stands the test of time.
Choosing the right windows for your second storey addition is a crucial decision, as it can significantly impact the overall look and feel of your space. With Bradnams’ high-quality windows and 32 Degrees Building’s expertise in second storey additions, you can create a harmonious and functional living space that complements your lifestyle.
Contact us today to discuss your second storey addition project, and let us help you select the perfect windows to enhance your home’s beauty and functionality.
When embarking on a Second Storey Addition, Ground Floor Extension or Large Scale Renovation project, one of the critical decisions you’ll face is whether to start with architectural plans or consult a builder first. It’s a topic that often divides opinions, with some advocating for plans first and others for the builder-first approach. At 32 Degrees Building, we believe that choosing the builder-first approach can save you time, money, and unnecessary headaches down the road. In this blog, we’ll explore why it might be in your best interest to consult a builder before diving into architectural plans.
1. The Budget-Conscious Approach: One of the initial concerns when starting any construction project is budgeting. Will your dream design align with your financial resources? Architects are experts at creating beautiful designs, but they might not fully understand your budget constraints. By approaching a builder first, you can get an accurate quotation upfront, allowing you to make informed decisions about your project’s scope and financial feasibility.
2. Realistic Cost Assessment: Builders are well-versed in construction costs, market trends, and material expenses. When you consult a builder first, you tap into their expertise. They can provide valuable insights into cost-effective design choices and suggest alternatives that can save you money without sacrificing your vision.
3. Holistic Project Management: Opting for a builder-first approach means you’re not just receiving a quote. You’re partnering with professionals who can handle the preliminary aspects of your project, including architectural plans, engineering, and approval processes. This holistic approach saves you time, money, and the stress of coordinating various services independently.
4. Avoiding Costly Redesigns: Imagine spending a significant sum on independent architectural plans, only to discover that they don’t fit your budget or your vision needs adjustments. The cost of revisions or a complete redesign can be substantial. When you consult a builder first, they will work with you on your plans early on and provide valuable feedback, helping you avoid expensive changes later in the process.
5. Standard Preliminaries Simplified: At 32 Degrees Building, we offer a comprehensive preliminary service that covers all essential aspects of your project, such as architectural plans, surveys, BASIX compliance, environmental assessments, waste management planning, external colour scheduling, structural adequacy certificates, engineering plans, stormwater plans, Sydney Water Tap-In Approval, and assistance with the application process to Council or Certifier. Our bundled service not only streamlines the process but also offers cost savings compared to sourcing these services independently.
6. Cost Efficiency: Contrary to popular belief, obtaining preliminary services independently may not save you money. Our integrated package is designed to be more cost-effective while ensuring that all necessary aspects are handled efficiently.
Conclusion: In the pursuit of your dream home, the choice between plans first or builder first can significantly impact your project’s success. At 32 Degrees Building, we advocate for the builder-first approach, which provides you with a realistic cost assessment, holistic project management, and valuable insights to align your vision with your budget. Our comprehensive preliminary service simplifies the process and offers cost-efficiency.
To learn more about how our builder-first approach can benefit your second-storey addition, ground floor extension, or large-scale renovation, please contact us. We’re here to help you turn your dream home into a reality while keeping your project on track and within budget.
32 Degrees Building are participating in The Push Up Challenge in June to support and improve Mental Health across Australia.
Our team will be completing 3,144 push-ups across each of our projects over 23 days, putting a spotlight on the number of lives lost to suicide in 2021.
Not only are we supporting the health of our team and raising mental health awareness in the construction industry, we are contributing towards interventions and preventions for depression, anxiety and suicide. As a company we have set out to achieve a goal of raising $2,000. You can view our donation and team page here to keep track of the push-ups completed! https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.au/fundraisers/leanmeanpushingmachines
If you see the team trying to bust out their push-ups for the day, please shout out and support our team with words of encouragement!
Weathergroove Fusion is a brand new, exclusively designed architectural panel that is perfect for external and internal applications. It combines the grooves from popular Weathertex profiles to create a unique style that is trendy and stylish.
Available in two finishes, Natural and Smooth, this architectural panel retains every measure of durability and safety that Weathertex is known for. This makes it the perfect solution for those looking to add a second storey to their homes.
If you are looking for a stylish and trendy solution for the cladding of your second storey addition, then look no further than Weathergroove Fusion.
Talk to our team to see how you can incorporate this into your build.
Changes are coming to the National Construction Code (NCC). Starting May 1, 2023, there will be a broad range of updates to the NCC that will impact the design and construction of Second Storey Additions, Ground Floor Extension and Large Scale Renovations.
These changes are essential for ensuring that Second Storey Additions, Ground Floor Extension and Large Scale Renovations are built to the highest standards of safety, livability, and efficiency.
So, what do you need to know about the NCC changes?
The changes are being implemented in two stages, with the first stage beginning on May 1, 2023. The second stage will begin on October 1, 2023, and will include further reforms relating to livable housing, energy efficiency, and condensation management.
Some of the key changes in stage one that affect Second Storey Additions, Ground Floor Extension and Large Scale Renovations include updates to the following:
- Internal and external waterproofing
- Falls to floor wastes
- Cladding and gutters and downpipes
- Corrosion protection for steel framing
- Sanitary plumbing and drainage
- Timber framing, bracing and connections of balconies to external walls
NCC 2022 will apply to Second Storey Additions, Ground Floor Extension and Large Scale Renovations where construction approval applications are submitted from May 1, 2023, though how this applies can vary from state to state.
At 32 Degrees Building, we take great pride in our ability to deliver exceptional building solutions to our clients. We specialise in Second Storey Additions, Ground Floor Extensions, and Large Scale Renovations, and we are here to stay.
Our well-run operations and capable management team are two key reasons we have become a trusted name in the industry. We understand the importance of clear communication, attention to detail, and a commitment to excellence. Our management team comprises experienced professionals with a wealth of knowledge and expertise in the industry. They are passionate about their work and are always looking for ways to improve our processes and deliver better results to our clients.
We are also proud to be a profitable and financially stable company. Our solid financial strength means that we have the resources and stability to continue operating through tough economic times, which means that our clients can trust us to complete their projects no matter what.
We are the experts in Second Storey Additions, Ground Floor Extensions, and Large Scale Renovations. We understand the unique challenges that these projects can present, and we have the skills and expertise to ensure that the end result is exactly what our clients envision. We are committed to delivering a stress-free and successful project from the initial consultation to the final handover.
At 32 Degrees Building, we are committed to excellence in everything we do. Our dedication to quality workmanship, attention to detail, and exceptional customer service set us apart from our competitors. Whether you want to add a second storey to your home, extend your ground floor, or undertake a large-scale renovation project, we are the team you can trust.
If you’re looking for a reliable and trusted builder for your next Second Storey Addition, Ground Floor Extension, or Large Scale Renovation project, look no further than 32 Degrees Building. Our well-run operations, capable management team, and solid financial strength make us the perfect choice for your project. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you achieve your building goals.
Adding a second storey or ground floor extension to your home is a great way to accommodate for a growing family or to create additional living space.
Are you considering a second storey addition or ground floor extension to your home, but concerned about the impact it could have on your energy consumption? Fortunately, with today’s technology and design practices, creating an energy-efficient home is easier than ever before. In this blog post, we’ll explore some ways to make your home addition both eco-friendly and cost-effective.
Heating and Cooling
For heating and cooling, the first thing you can do is choose a system that works with your specific needs. Options include split-system air conditioners, wall-mounted heating, and cooling units or ceiling fans. Consider natural gas, electric, solar power or hydronic heating to reduce your heating and cooling bills over time. Another way to reduce energy consumption is by using insulation, which will help to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. You can also install double-glazed or Low-E glazed windows to help prevent heat loss during colder months.
Hot Water Systems
Your hot water system is another major contributor to energy usage. Consider installing a solar hot water system to lower energy bills and reduce your carbon footprint. This system works by using solar panels to heat your water, which can then be stored in a tank for later use. An electric heat pump system is also a good option.
Choosing the right lighting for your home will provide energy savings long-term. LED lights use far less energy and last longer than traditional halogens. They are also safe, reliable and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
Appliances and Technology
Many appliances and devices in our homes use significant amounts of electricity. Choosing energy-efficient options when shopping for new appliances like a fridge, dishwasher, washing machine or air-conditioner is a great way to reduce power usage. Even switching off appliances when not in use can make a significant difference to your energy bill.
A connected home is a smart home that uses technology to manage energy use. For example, you can connect your heating and cooling systems to a smart thermostat, allowing you to automate your home’s temperature settings. This means your home will always be at the perfect temperature and energy will be used efficiently as the system will learn your preferences.
Solar Panel/Photovoltaic Systems
A photovoltaic system is a type of solar panel that generates electricity when sunlight hits the panels. Once installed, you can power your home using energy from the sun, saving you money on electricity bills and reducing your environmental impact.
Batteries are a great way to store excess energy and utilise it when needed, making your home entirely self-sufficient. Battery options like Tesla’s Powerwall allow you to store electricity generated by solar panels throughout the day for use at night when electricity prices are higher.
Incorporating a rainwater tank into your second storey addition or ground floor extension is an excellent way to increase your home’s energy efficiency. Instead of letting stormwater run off your roof, a rainwater tank can collect this water and store it for later use, reducing your reliance on mains water. You can then use this water for watering the garden or flushing toilets, saving you money on expensive water bills. In addition to its practical uses, using rainwater tanks is an eco-friendly solution that reduces your home’s environmental impact, making it a worthwhile investment in the long run.
Let us help you build an energy efficient Addition or Extension
Making your Second Storey Addition or Ground Floor Extension energy efficient can help reduce your environmental impact and save you money on energy bills. With a range of options available, from insulation and efficient lighting to renewable energy systems, there’s never been a better time to create an eco-friendly home addition or extension. No matter what your budget or needs, there are measures you can take to create a home that is sustainable, comfortable and cost-effective.
At 32 Degrees Building, we can help you along the journey toward an energy-efficient home addition or extension.
Feel free to contact us to learn more!