The demand for green housing is getting bigger by the minute. The HIA GreenSmart program offers up-to-date information on practical, affordable and durable environmental solutions for residential design and construction.
Today there is more demand for builders to create sustainable homes using environmentally responsible housing design ideas, building techniques and products.
A GreenSmart house will:
✔ Improve the water and energy efficiency of the home and reduce energy bills and costs
✔ Create healthier homes for occupants
✔ Provide options to make the home more adaptable for all stages of life
✔ Reduce waste from the building process
✔ Improve site management during construction
Our Builder Alistair has completed the GreenSmart Professional training and is Accredited as a GreenSmart Professional.
Some things that we have been integrating into our first floor additions, ground floor extensions and renovations are:
✔ Improved thermal performance
✔ Passive solar design and natural ventilation
✔ Design and operational issues for water and energy efficiency
✔ Selection of water and energy-efficient appliances
✔ Sustainable building products
When planning your build consider asking your builder or planning team these questions:
Have you thought about the orientation of your addition?
What windows and type of glass to use in your build?
What energy efficiency and sustainable products can you use?
When you meet with our builder and work with our drafting team for your project, we will take these important things into consideration for the design and build of your addition or extension.
Contact us today to discuss how we can integrate environmentally sustainable building solutions into your build.
We often get asked: “What should I do first? Should I get a quote for my home extension/addition or should I get plans drawn up?”
These are our top 5 tips on why you should get a quote from a builder BEFORE getting plans for your project when building an addition or extension.
- Obtaining a detailed written quote or proposal for your addition or extension comes with many benefits. In your quote the builder should provide you with an indication of the size of the build (how much room is going to be added to your home), the number of rooms being added and what materials and inclusions are being used so you know what is included and if you can afford what you are planning to build.
- A builder can arrange to assist you in drafting plans inhouse or have relationships with draftspeople or architects that specialise in the type of build you are after. This can make the whole process smoother and faster saving you time and money.
- When you work with your builder they can review your plans with you and the draftsperson to ensure you are staying on track with costs and may pick up on items that may be of concern from a construction viewpoint. This input is important in ensuring that you achieve what you set out for in your build while staying within your budget and avoiding issues that could arise during the build if not picked up during this critical planning stage.
- A builder can help and advise you on the true costs for different material options before you commit to plans and approvals. This can in turn ensure that you get the right materials, resulting in the right look for your build at the right cost.
- A builder can consult and guide you with on how to achieve what you want while managing what you can afford. This is best done prior to plans being drawn up due to the builders expertise in the type of build you are looking at. This can reduce the amount of plan revisions and save you time and money in the short term and long term.
If you are thinking of planning or building an addition or extension contact us on (02) 4647 2324 or fill out the form below to get things started.
HomeBuilder provides eligible owner-occupiers (including first home buyers) with a grant to build a first-floor addition/ground floor extension/substantially renovate an existing home. HomeBuilder assists the residential construction sector by encouraging the commencement of new home builds and renovations.
On 29 November 2020, the Government announced an extension to the HomeBuilder program to 31 March 2021.
Changes to the HomeBuilder program include:
- A $15,000 grant for building contracts (new builds and first-floor additions/ground floor extensions/substantial renovations) signed between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2021, inclusive.
- An extended deadline for all applications to be submitted, including those applying for the $25,000 grant and the new $15,000 grant. Applications for the new $15,000 grant can now be submitted up until 14 April 2021 (inclusive). This will apply to all eligible contracts signed on or after 4 June 2020.
- An extension to the construction commencement timeframe from three months to six months for all HomeBuilder applicants. This will apply to all eligible contracts signed on or after 1 January 2021, but will also be backdated and apply to all contracts entered into on or after 4 June 2020.
Other than the above, the existing program criteria applies. That is, the other existing eligibility criteria remains in place and the $25,000 grant will still be made available for eligible contracts signed on or before 31 December 2020. More information can be found here: https://www.32degreesbuilding.com.au/get-a-25000-contribution-towards-your-addition-extension-or-renovation-through-the-homebuilder-program/
To take advantage of the HomeBuilder Program and secure your HomeBuilder Grant, it is important that you start the planning process now.
We care deeply about the planet and creating a business that gives back to nature. That’s why we’re thrilled to share that we’re partnering with One Tree Planted to plant a tree for every building project we complete.
Trees clean our air and water, create habitats for biodiversity, contribute to our health and wellbeing, and create jobs for social impact. We’re honoured to have reforestation through One Tree Planted as an integral part of our business model.
They also raise awareness about the importance of trees, while offering businesses like ours a simple sustainability solution, and motivate younger generations to do something positive for the environment.
Australia experienced one of the largest natural disasters in history. This year’s fire season has brought about unprecedented destruction as wildfires have spread across every Australian state, burning up nearly 6 million hectares (15 million acres) of bush as of January 2020.
But the devastation witnessed in the state of New South Wales is nearly unfathomable – 3.6 million hectares (8.8 million acres) have been lost, over 1,500 homes destroyed or damaged, and 24 people have been killed. New South Wales is home to some of the most iconic of Australia’s wildlife – koalas, wombats, and kangaroos to name a few – and their habitat is rapidly declining.
At the moment, the focus in Australia is on assessing the impact they have had on local communities and environments. Plenty of support will be needed to restore this landscape back to health.
For every addition or extension we build, 32 Degrees Building will plant 300 trees in Australia to assist with reforestation and rebuilding habitats for native wildlife.
With the current challenges associated with COVID-19 and our clients’ safety and well being at the top of our priorities, we have implemented several measures to ensure that we keep you COVID Safe during your build.
We are a NSW Government registered COVID Safe business with a COVID-19 Safety Plan in place and we are committed to keeping you and your family as well as our team safe.
Some of the measures we have implemented are:
- We keep our team isolated from the existing home and our clients for the maximum time period that is practicable. This includes not penetrating the ground floor for as long as possible when building a first-floor addition and utilising scaffolding to complete the majority of the build until we are required to create the entry hole for the stairs.
- We have introduced hygiene stations (pictured below) across our sites, which ensures that there are adequate facilities for our team to enable good hygiene practices (e.g. soap, hand sanitiser, signage and reminders).
- We have developed and implemented infection control policies and procedures.
- All of our team have been directed to comply with the latest quarantine measures if they are experiencing any flu-like symptoms or are feeling unwell.
- Every individual that enters any job site is required to complete an induction and we keep log of their details.
- Rather than face to face communication, we can communicate with our clients via video calling/conferencing, messaging (Whatsapp, text messages etc.) and email before, during and after the build, to enable a seamless contact-free build process, eliminating any unnecessary contact.
Your family’s and our family’s safety is of the utmost importance and we have implemented the above strategies to ensure that we all remain safe and healthy during these challenging times.
We appreciate your continuous support and business during these times and would love to create more space for your family to live comfortably and happily together.
Should you wish to discuss your build or enquire about the safety measures we have in place, please contact us on (02) 4647 2324.
First floor additions, also known as second storey extensions are increasingly popular for those homeowners who don’t want to lose valuable garden space but want to increase their family living space. Best of all, going up is easy and our team will do their best to ensure the process is smooth and the build is completed on time and with minimal disruption to your daily lives.
You can have a modern, liveable home with plenty of space for your family – without giving up the location you love.
Our team are the experts in planning and building custom/tailor-designed First Floor Additions
We are often approached by clients who would like to create an open plan living environment downstairs, whilst adding more room for the family to live comfortably upstairs. The best way to achieve this is with a Custom First Floor Addition.
As specialists in these types of builds, we have many years of experience enabling us to easily offer solutions and suggestions on products, layout and how to get the most from your investment. We are able to share with you relevant quality projects that have resulted in many of our clients becoming raving fans.
No Plans? No Worries!
If a client comes to us without plans, part of our service is to organise for a building designer to assist with the plans and design process. This is will be included in our Preliminary Agreement if required.
We can arrange for our draftspeople to consult with our clients at their home and discuss their project requirements. From there we will then provide plans based upon their specifications and work hand in hand with our clients and the draftsperson to ensure the plans continue to work within the tailored build cost estimate that we have provided.
Improve your lifestyle and bring your family together
When building their addition our clients often decide to open up downstairs living spaces, renovate their kitchen and bathrooms and create new living spaces internally and externally. Once the addition and renovation are completed they are left with a finished product that is like moving into a brand new home.
We are able to create open plan living spaces and improve their current living situation. Our mission is to bring families closer together.
Take away the stress, let us help you plan, manage and design your build
We have a streamlined process which is stress-free and fun. When you are building with 32 Degrees Building you don’t have to worry about anything other than choosing what you want to add to your home and we will work with you on the design to suit your home and your lifestyle.
Contact us to start your building journey today
Not ready to book? Check out our process and how we do things here.
If you are building an addition or extension on your home you may find yourself needing to arrange finance to pay for the build. We can help you secure the appropriate finance for your build.
Refinance your current mortgage
To pay for your addition or extension you can opt to refinance your existing mortgage. This means that you will use the equity in your home to obtain a loan for a higher amount than what you currently owe to finance your addition or extension project.
The new loan will replace your old loan and you can choose to stay with your existing finance provider or move to a new finance provider. Refinancing has several advantages for homeowners with substantial equity in their homes.
First, it may allow you to obtain lower interest rates without changing your monthly mortgage payment or adding on a new payment.
Second, some lenders “may approve a loan based on the estimated value of your home once the addition is completed,” which is convenient for projects that require a large amount of money, such as a second story addition or ground floor extension.
Take out a Construction Loan
A construction home loan is a type of home loan designed for people who are building a new home, a first floor addition, ground floor extension or doing large scale renovations. It has a different loan structure to home loans designed for people buying an established or existing home.
A construction loan most commonly has a progressive drawdown. That is, you receive instalments of the loan amount at various stages of construction, rather than receiving it all at once at the start. You generally only pay interest on the amount that is drawn down, as opposed to on the whole loan amount.
A number of lenders offer construction loans that are interest-only during the construction period and then revert to a standard principal and interest loan.
Of course, a construction loan is just one potential source of funding for your project. The Federal Government recently unveiled its HomeBuilder scheme, which will give eligible homebuyers and existing owners grants of $25,000 to help them construct or substantially renovate their home. Strict eligibility criteria apply– for example, you’ll need to meet an income test, and be building a new home that’s worth less than $750,000 or a renovation that will cost at least $150,000. For more information visit our blog post here.
We can connect you with our finance specialist to discuss how to get started today.
RENOVATE YOUR BATHROOM, KITCHEN AND FLOORING FOR ONLY $98K!
Thinking of renovating your bathroom and kitchen and revamping your floor?
We have put together the perfect renovation package for you!
We are experienced renovation experts who project manage your home renovation package from start to finish and deliver your project on time and to budget. You also deal directly with us throughout, which means no sales reps or chasing tradespeople.
Our Renovation Package includes:
- 1 x bathroom – Semi-frameless shower screen & $6K to spend at Beaumont Tiles
- 1 x kitchen – Polyurethane cabinetry, 40mm stone benchtop, glass splashback and soft close drawers, $5K to spend at Winning Appliances
- Flooring – Hybrid engineered timber flooring to living, dining, hall up to 50m2
- Includes: electrical, plumbing, plastering, demolition, waste, project management
- Offer valid to May 1st
The 32 Degrees Building Team acknowledge that we have a duty to provide a safe workplace without risks to the health and safety of our team and our clients.
This includes managing the risk of exposure to the coronavirus, COVID-19 and reducing any impact this may have to our clients, team members and contractors.
We are still conducting business as usual and welcome you to contact us about your build. As a response to the current situation we have implemented the following:
For your reassurance, our builder Alistair will be following strict hygiene protocols when attending onsite consultations. He will refrain from contact and maintain distancing where possible. He carries hand sanitiser and disinfectant wipes with him in the car to use before and after each consult. Alistair has also not been overseas in the last 14 days and has not been into contact with anyone that has tested positive with Coronavirus.
For those clients who are looking to build a second storey addition or have plans for an upcoming building project for quoting however you or a family member are unwell, you are self-isolating and/or would prefer to maintain social distancing from our builder, we are offering 20-30 min virtual video consultations*. Alistair can do a virtual walkthrough with you in your home to ascertain the scope and conduct a consultation with you remotely, addressing all of your questions, providing a quotation to you via email in 2-3 business days.
*virtual consultations are not available for extensions that do not have plans already drawn/prepared as an onsite consultation is required for these.
All of our onsite team have been provided with sanitiser and disinfectant wipes that will be used throughout the day and at the end of each day. Where possible our team members will work in the same groups to minimise the risk of exposure to our members if one person was to become infected. We are also practising distancing by limiting face to face contact with clients and refraining from any contact with each other. If any member of our team displays symptoms, they are being sent home until clearance is provided.
As new information becomes available, we are keeping our team well informed so they can respond swiftly and appropriately. While the circumstances continue to change and we modify our operations as necessary, we thank you for your patience and cooperation. As new developments occur, be assured we are committed to taking care of our clients and team members.