The demand for green housing is getting bigger by the minute. The HIA GreenSmart program offers up-to-date information on practical, affordable and durable environmental solutions for residential design and construction.
Today there is more demand for builders to create sustainable homes using environmentally responsible housing design ideas, building techniques and products.
A GreenSmart house will:
✔ Improve the water and energy efficiency of the home and reduce energy bills and costs
✔ Create healthier homes for occupants
✔ Provide options to make the home more adaptable for all stages of life
✔ Reduce waste from the building process
✔ Improve site management during construction
Our Builder Alistair has completed the GreenSmart Professional training and is Accredited as a GreenSmart Professional.
Some things that we have been integrating into our first floor additions, ground floor extensions and renovations are:
✔ Improved thermal performance
✔ Passive solar design and natural ventilation
✔ Design and operational issues for water and energy efficiency
✔ Selection of water and energy-efficient appliances
✔ Sustainable building products
When planning your build consider asking your builder or planning team these questions:
Have you thought about the orientation of your addition?
What windows and type of glass to use in your build?
What energy efficiency and sustainable products can you use?
When you meet with our builder and work with our drafting team for your project, we will take these important things into consideration for the design and build of your addition or extension.
Contact us today to discuss how we can integrate environmentally sustainable building solutions into your build.
We often get asked: “What should I do first? Should I get a quote for my home extension/addition or should I get plans drawn up?”
These are our top 5 tips on why you should get a quote from a builder BEFORE getting plans for your project when building an addition or extension.
- Obtaining a detailed written quote or proposal for your addition or extension comes with many benefits. In your quote the builder should provide you with an indication of the size of the build (how much room is going to be added to your home), the number of rooms being added and what materials and inclusions are being used so you know what is included and if you can afford what you are planning to build.
- A builder can arrange to assist you in drafting plans inhouse or have relationships with draftspeople or architects that specialise in the type of build you are after. This can make the whole process smoother and faster saving you time and money.
- When you work with your builder they can review your plans with you and the draftsperson to ensure you are staying on track with costs and may pick up on items that may be of concern from a construction viewpoint. This input is important in ensuring that you achieve what you set out for in your build while staying within your budget and avoiding issues that could arise during the build if not picked up during this critical planning stage.
- A builder can help and advise you on the true costs for different material options before you commit to plans and approvals. This can in turn ensure that you get the right materials, resulting in the right look for your build at the right cost.
- A builder can consult and guide you with on how to achieve what you want while managing what you can afford. This is best done prior to plans being drawn up due to the builders expertise in the type of build you are looking at. This can reduce the amount of plan revisions and save you time and money in the short term and long term.
If you are thinking of planning or building an addition or extension contact us on (02) 4647 2324 or fill out the form below to get things started.
HomeBuilder provides eligible owner-occupiers (including first home buyers) with a grant to build a first-floor addition/ground floor extension/substantially renovate an existing home. HomeBuilder assists the residential construction sector by encouraging the commencement of new home builds and renovations.
On 29 November 2020, the Government announced an extension to the HomeBuilder program to 31 March 2021.
Changes to the HomeBuilder program include:
- A $15,000 grant for building contracts (new builds and first-floor additions/ground floor extensions/substantial renovations) signed between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2021, inclusive.
- An extended deadline for all applications to be submitted, including those applying for the $25,000 grant and the new $15,000 grant. Applications for the new $15,000 grant can now be submitted up until 14 April 2021 (inclusive). This will apply to all eligible contracts signed on or after 4 June 2020.
- An extension to the construction commencement timeframe from three months to six months for all HomeBuilder applicants. This will apply to all eligible contracts signed on or after 1 January 2021, but will also be backdated and apply to all contracts entered into on or after 4 June 2020.
Other than the above, the existing program criteria applies. That is, the other existing eligibility criteria remains in place and the $25,000 grant will still be made available for eligible contracts signed on or before 31 December 2020. More information can be found here: https://www.32degreesbuilding.com.au/get-a-25000-contribution-towards-your-addition-extension-or-renovation-through-the-homebuilder-program/
To take advantage of the HomeBuilder Program and secure your HomeBuilder Grant, it is important that you start the planning process now.
We care deeply about the planet and creating a business that gives back to nature. That’s why we’re thrilled to share that we’re partnering with One Tree Planted to plant a tree for every building project we complete.
Trees clean our air and water, create habitats for biodiversity, contribute to our health and wellbeing, and create jobs for social impact. We’re honoured to have reforestation through One Tree Planted as an integral part of our business model.
They also raise awareness about the importance of trees, while offering businesses like ours a simple sustainability solution, and motivate younger generations to do something positive for the environment.
Australia experienced one of the largest natural disasters in history. This year’s fire season has brought about unprecedented destruction as wildfires have spread across every Australian state, burning up nearly 6 million hectares (15 million acres) of bush as of January 2020.
But the devastation witnessed in the state of New South Wales is nearly unfathomable – 3.6 million hectares (8.8 million acres) have been lost, over 1,500 homes destroyed or damaged, and 24 people have been killed. New South Wales is home to some of the most iconic of Australia’s wildlife – koalas, wombats, and kangaroos to name a few – and their habitat is rapidly declining.
At the moment, the focus in Australia is on assessing the impact they have had on local communities and environments. Plenty of support will be needed to restore this landscape back to health.
For every addition or extension we build, 32 Degrees Building will plant 300 trees in Australia to assist with reforestation and rebuilding habitats for native wildlife.
First floor additions, also known as second storey extensions are increasingly popular for those homeowners who don’t want to lose valuable garden space but want to increase their family living space. Best of all, going up is easy and our team will do their best to ensure the process is smooth and the build is completed on time and with minimal disruption to your daily lives.
You can have a modern, liveable home with plenty of space for your family – without giving up the location you love.
Our team are the experts in planning and building custom/tailor-designed First Floor Additions
We are often approached by clients who would like to create an open plan living environment downstairs, whilst adding more room for the family to live comfortably upstairs. The best way to achieve this is with a Custom First Floor Addition.
As specialists in these types of builds, we have many years of experience enabling us to easily offer solutions and suggestions on products, layout and how to get the most from your investment. We are able to share with you relevant quality projects that have resulted in many of our clients becoming raving fans.
No Plans? No Worries!
If a client comes to us without plans, part of our service is to organise for a building designer to assist with the plans and design process. This is will be included in our Preliminary Agreement if required.
We can arrange for our draftspeople to consult with our clients at their home and discuss their project requirements. From there we will then provide plans based upon their specifications and work hand in hand with our clients and the draftsperson to ensure the plans continue to work within the tailored build cost estimate that we have provided.
Improve your lifestyle and bring your family together
When building their addition our clients often decide to open up downstairs living spaces, renovate their kitchen and bathrooms and create new living spaces internally and externally. Once the addition and renovation are completed they are left with a finished product that is like moving into a brand new home.
We are able to create open plan living spaces and improve their current living situation. Our mission is to bring families closer together.
Take away the stress, let us help you plan, manage and design your build
We have a streamlined process which is stress-free and fun. When you are building with 32 Degrees Building you don’t have to worry about anything other than choosing what you want to add to your home and we will work with you on the design to suit your home and your lifestyle.
Contact us to start your building journey today
Not ready to book? Check out our process and how we do things here.
Our team has officially wrapped up things for 2019! Here is an overview of our year!
Our office is now closed until 14th January 2020.
We wish everyone a safe and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
You can still contact us on our website during the break and we will be in touch when we return. For any enquiries please fill out the form below.
Some of our team were over at Belimbla Park recently installing the nailstrip metal wall cladding on stage 1 of the parapet of the ground floor extension.
Here are several benefits of using this material for your wall cladding:
– It’s quick and simple to install, with no clips or special seam tools required
– It achieves an architectural facade with no visible fixings and has a modern clean style compared to traditional cladding
– You can get custom widths for your individual design style
AND our favourite;
– It requires minimal maintenance compared to other cladding materials, such as rendered brick and timber!
This look is definitely the new trend that we are seeing coming in across our builds, with our client in Rozelle also opting for this cladding! Want to know how to incorporate it into in your build either as a feature or across your home? – just ask us!
Did you know that a part of our job is also specialising in connecting families by creating additional, practical well thought out living spaces for families that are growing, those that are looking to move back in and those that require looking after.
Often we are contacted about creating more space for growing families, a great option to consider in this case is a parents retreat, teenagers retreat and retirees retreat through the addition of a second storey.
Parents Retreat: A parents retreat is the addition of a master bedroom, ensuite and walk-in wardrobe. The aim is to create a luxurious space where relaxation and privacy are the priority.
Teenagers Retreat: A teenagers retreat creates a space with additional bedrooms, a bathroom and living space creating a sanctuary away from the parents.
Retirees Retreat: A retirees retreat creates a space tailored to the more mature audience, they often include the addition of a bedroom, ensuite, wardrobe and a living area with a wet bar. They can be fitted out with features that can assist with ease of accessibility including wider entryways, stairlifts, a lift, even floors throughout and even a wet bar to maintain their independence.
If you are planning a build, talk to our team. We want to be a part of your building journey and make it a stressfree and enjoyable build, so much so that at the end of it, you will say to us that you would do it all again!
When it comes to extending and renovating their home, many of our clients will have at least one additional bathroom added or updated as part of their project.
When you are planning on the type of fixtures and fittings that you would like to include in your bathroom, do you pause to give any thought to the drainage? Often we find that this can be overlooked, so we wanted to share with you Stormtech’s linear drainage system. They have a designer range and have recently added 3 new colours to the range so you can match them in with your bathroom style choices – there is now bronze, copper and brass alongside the traditional steel and black look available.
It’s a grate addition to their collection! – pun intended! ?
Interested in starting your build? Contact us to get the process started!