Building Your Dream Home: Plans First or Builder First?
When embarking on a Second Storey Addition, Ground Floor Extension or Large Scale Renovation project, one of the critical decisions you’ll face is whether to start with architectural plans or consult a builder first. It’s a topic that often divides opinions, with some advocating for plans first and others for the builder-first approach. At 32 Degrees Building, we believe that choosing the builder-first approach can save you time, money, and unnecessary headaches down the road. In this blog, we’ll explore why it might be in your best interest to consult a builder before diving into architectural plans.
1. The Budget-Conscious Approach: One of the initial concerns when starting any construction project is budgeting. Will your dream design align with your financial resources? Architects are experts at creating beautiful designs, but they might not fully understand your budget constraints. By approaching a builder first, you can get an accurate quotation upfront, allowing you to make informed decisions about your project’s scope and financial feasibility.
2. Realistic Cost Assessment: Builders are well-versed in construction costs, market trends, and material expenses. When you consult a builder first, you tap into their expertise. They can provide valuable insights into cost-effective design choices and suggest alternatives that can save you money without sacrificing your vision.
3. Holistic Project Management: Opting for a builder-first approach means you’re not just receiving a quote. You’re partnering with professionals who can handle the preliminary aspects of your project, including architectural plans, engineering, and approval processes. This holistic approach saves you time, money, and the stress of coordinating various services independently.
4. Avoiding Costly Redesigns: Imagine spending a significant sum on independent architectural plans, only to discover that they don’t fit your budget or your vision needs adjustments. The cost of revisions or a complete redesign can be substantial. When you consult a builder first, they will work with you on your plans early on and provide valuable feedback, helping you avoid expensive changes later in the process.
5. Standard Preliminaries Simplified: At 32 Degrees Building, we offer a comprehensive preliminary service that covers all essential aspects of your project, such as architectural plans, surveys, BASIX compliance, environmental assessments, waste management planning, external colour scheduling, structural adequacy certificates, engineering plans, stormwater plans, Sydney Water Tap-In Approval, and assistance with the application process to Council or Certifier. Our bundled service not only streamlines the process but also offers cost savings compared to sourcing these services independently.
6. Cost Efficiency: Contrary to popular belief, obtaining preliminary services independently may not save you money. Our integrated package is designed to be more cost-effective while ensuring that all necessary aspects are handled efficiently.
Conclusion: In the pursuit of your dream home, the choice between plans first or builder first can significantly impact your project’s success. At 32 Degrees Building, we advocate for the builder-first approach, which provides you with a realistic cost assessment, holistic project management, and valuable insights to align your vision with your budget. Our comprehensive preliminary service simplifies the process and offers cost-efficiency.
To learn more about how our builder-first approach can benefit your second-storey addition, ground floor extension, or large-scale renovation, please contact us. We’re here to help you turn your dream home into a reality while keeping your project on track and within budget.